This January, Metro's J-term will include regular class instruction and virtual/online instruction, so we are hosting two "practice" virtual days this fall in preparation. On October 15 and November 12, students will not attend class at Metro but will sign in online from home (or your favorite WiFi hotspot) for each class period. Please mark your calendars; more information will be coming soon.
Metro to Host Meeting
Tomorrow afternoon, Metro will host the Columbus Partnership Board Meeting. Students will be able to attend office hours, tutoring and club meetings, but if your student will not be working directly with staff, we ask that you plan for a ride home at 2:30pm. Students waiting for later parent pick-up will be provided work space in Suite 300 along with Twilight School until a ride arrives.
Virtual Day November 12
Monday, November 12 will be the second virtual day of this semester to help test the online learning style we will use during January term. Instead of reporting to Metro, students will be meeting online for class discussion; each teacher will provide instructions on the link and time frame for their class. Attendance will be taken, so participation is expected. Please help us by making sure your student has reliable internet connectio for the day. OSU will not be in session in observance of Veteran's Day, so OSU classes will be cancelled.
PTSO Meeting November 13
Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend this month's PTSO meeting, scheduled for Tuesday, November 13 at 6:30pm. The PTSO is the perfect way for parents and students to get involved in decisions impacting our school community. Mark your calendar now and plan to join us!
Algebra 1 & English 9 Work Day Saturday
Ms. Krista and Mrs. McAllister will be holding office hours on Saturday, November 10 beginning at 9am for students not at Mastery in Algebra 1 or English 9. This is an optional but highly recommended work time to complete assignments. To attend Ms. Krista's office hours, students must arrive promptly at 9:00am and may work until 11:30am; all students must be picked up by noon. Mrs. McAllister's work time will be from 9am-11am; students must be picked up promptly at 11am.
Advisory Service Projects: Donations Needed
- Supplies for Uganda: The Walker Advisory is collecting supplies to support an orphanage and school in Uganda. Items needed: composition/spiral notebooks, pens/pencils, crayons, colored pencils, small bottles of bubbles, and new or gently used children's books, clothing (if used, laundered and in good condition), shoes and blankets. To offset shipping costs, a baset with OSU items, restaurant gift cards, candy, popcorn and a movie will be raffled. Tickets are $3 each or two for $5. Contact Ms. Walker at email@example.com with any questions.
- Toys-for-Tots: The Allmandinger Advisory is hosting a Toys-for-Tots drive until December 12. NEW, UNWRAPPED TOYS are needed, as items that are not in the original store packaging cannot be accepted. Each advisory that brings in 25 new toys will earn a dress down day. The advisory with the biggest donation will win a pancake luncheon hosted by Mr. Allmandinger's students. For more information about the drive, visit http://www.toysfortots.org
- Food Drive: The Baker Advisory is hosting a food drive now through December 4 to benefit the Mid-Ohio Food Bank. Each advisory has been challenged to collect canned/boxed foods and paper goods (tissues, paper towels, toilet paper) with which they will construct a castle. The advisory with the largest, most creative castle will be treated to ice cream, a casual day and a movie.
OSU Football Parking This Saturday
Parent and student volunteers are needed to man the Metro lot this Saturday for the OSU football game. Volunteers would need to report by 9am; contact Rusty Geiger if you can help.
If your student would benefit from tutoring for math or science coursework, be sure to take advantage of the tutoring rooms every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 2:30-4pm. No appointment is necessary; just come ready to work!
Summer Reading 2012
Please note that the link to the reading in the this document is invalid. Click here to get to the summer reading.
CCS Bus Routes
The Columbus City School District has completed bus routing for students needing morning transportation. Students may stop by the front desk to pick up their form, which includes a stop from your neighborhood to Columbus Downtown High School and Route 390 from there to Metro. If you will NOT use the morning bus, please see Mrs. Burgett to decline the route.
OSU Football Parking Fundraiser
Metro parents are invited to join us this football season to man our lot during OSU home games. Our "cut" of the money raised by offering parking on our lot is used to support student programs and projects. The Sept. 8 and Sept. 15 games are both at noon, so volunteers would need to report to Metro by 9am. If you and/or your student are available to help this weekend or for future games, contact Metro parent Rusty Geiger at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up!
After School Tutoring
Students can take advantage of tutoring each Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoon from 2:30-4pm. Choose Ohio First college scholars and Metro teachers will be on hand to assist with questions for math, science and engineering courses.
J-Term Spanish Trip
Need a Spanish 3 credit? Consider participating in a language/culture immersion experience during J-Term 2013 with Prof. Hogue! The four week trip will take students to three cities. Families will be responsible for costs related to the trip but fundraisers are being planned to offer help. Because planning must begin now, Interested students should contact Ms. Hogue right away and visit this link for basic details.
The Sutton advisory is beginning a project converting old, unwanted t-shirts into shoulder bags for patients at Nationwide Children's Hospital. If you have any unwanted t-shirts at home, bring them to Metro over the next few weeks and leave at the front desk with a note, or email Ms. Sutton at email@example.com. Your t-shirts will be up-cycled to bring a smile to a child at Children's.
- November 12 - Virtual Day. Metro Classes Meet Online
- November 13 - PSTO Meeting, 6:30pm
- November 19-23 Thanksgiving Break, NO SCHOOL
Metro Early College High School Seniors Seek OSU Professors to Sponsor Student Research Projects
August 6, 2009 Andrew Bruening
Exploring career possibilities with your adolescent
September 26, 2008 Columbus Parent
Where We Stand, Achievement (Metro Feature)
September 8, 2008 PBS
Fledgling school fares well on state graduation exams
July 27, 2008 Columbus Dispatch
Metro School Does Things its Own Way
April 14, 2008 WCPN ideastream
Battelle-run network to boost schools' effort in science, math
January 1, 2008 Columbus Dispatch
Metro High concept may spread across Ohio
September 28, 2007 Columbus Business First
Battelle looking at 2nd Metro High School
September 7, 2007 Columbus Business First
Justice O’Connor Meets With Metro High School Students
The Supreme Court of Ohio
The Metro School: An Innovative Approach to Learning
January 3, 2007 Columbus Metropolitan Club
Battelle, OSU and Educational Council unveil Metro High School
January 18, 2006 The Ohio State University News Room