During the Core Preparation phase, the 9th and 10th grade student experience focuses on learning that promotes performance and mastery. To exit Core Preparation, students demonstrate performances in mathematics, science, social studies and language arts. This performance demonstration includes the successful passage of the Ohio Graduation Tests as well as performance tasks including a showcase of the student’s ability to work both independently and in collaborative environments, and capacity to investigate solutions to real world problems.
The program for 9th and 10th grade students is formulated to accomplish several key outcomes:
- Successful passage of the Ohio Graduation Tests
- Performance attainment of core area coursework
- Demonstration of habits of mind that include: disciplined inquiry, independent thinking, analysis, reasoning, creative problem solving and evaluation
- Specific measurements will be taken in every course in Critical Thinking, Inquiry, Collaboration, Communication, Engagement, and Responsible Decision-making. These are included on Metro’s grade reporting system.
- Demonstration of habits of heart that include: compassion for others, responsibility, courage, and honesty
- Demonstration of efficient and effective collaboration
- Demonstration of successful completion of the following college coursework at OSU: EPL 259 Individual Learning and Motivation (ILM) Strategies for Success in College, EEOB 126 Introduction to the Study of Birds, EEOB 125 Entomology, EEOB 126 Introductory Insect Biology (for a total of 15 credit hours).
Other Curriculum Areas